“The profession of dentistry means a lot to me. Over the years, I have established many long-lasting relationships and have been able to care for these individuals for an extended period of time. In addition to my family practice, I am also passionate about hospital dentistry for the fearful and medically compromised patient. Providing care for people in need excites me more than anything.” — Dr. Harden
With an interest in hospital dentistry for the fearful and medically compromised patient, Dr. John Harden Jr. has become well-known throughout the Atlanta dental community over the past 40 years. Providing hospital dentistry has been especially gratifying for Dr. Harden. He is one of only two dentists in the Atlanta metro area who furnish this service to the extent that he does.
Dr. Harden is able to treat patients who are extremely sick or have extreme dental anxiety, many of whom can only be treated at a teaching institution like Emory University Hospital.
- B.S. in industrial management – Georgia Institute of Technology, 1969
- B.S. in applied biology – Georgia Institute of Technology, 1974
- M.S. in applied biology – Georgia Institute of Technology, 1976
- Doctorate of Dental Medicine – Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, 1978
- Residency in anesthesiology – Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago, IL/University of Illinois College of Medicine, 1984-1985
- Medical student – St. Petersburg State Medical University, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1996-1997
Dr. Harden’s commitment to keeping current with the latest in the dental field inspires his participation in a variety of continuing education courses throughout the year. He has been on the medical staff with the Emory Hospital System since 1988 and has extensive experience treating fearful and medically compromised patients both in the office and in the hospital.
In addition, Dr. Harden is an anesthesia consultant for the Georgia State Board of Dentistry (since 1989), and evaluates dentists for conscious sedation permits. He has also been a consultant for the U.S. Army at Fort Gordon, and has lectured for many years during the annual conscious sedation course for their dental residents.
- American Dental Association
- Georgia Dental Association
- Northern District Dental Society
- American College of Dentists, fellow
- International College of Dentists, fellow
- Academy of Dentistry International, fellow
- Pierre Fouchard Academy, fellow
- Emile T. Fisher Foundation for Dental Education in Georgia, president
- Medical Staff of Emory University System of Healthcare, Dept. of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery & Dentistry
Outside the Office
Dr. Harden was born in the State of Mississippi during World War II and grew up there, in West Tennessee, and in suburban Atlanta. He now lives in the Buckhead area of Northwest Atlanta.
Dr. Harden has two sons, David and Wesley. David and his wife Michelle have four children. He is a corporate recruiter in the finance arena. Wesley is single, and works in the international music business. Both sons live in the Atlanta area.
When Dr. Harden is not working, you will find him enjoying his home, at the country club, visiting with his sons, attending concerts in the park in the summer, and at Georgia Tech football games in the fall. He also enjoys vacationing in Key West.
Community and National Service
Dr. Harden was first an Army ROTC cadet at the age of 17 in 1961. In 1967 and 1968, he served in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. He also served in the U.S. Army Reserves from 1979 to 2003, and retired as a Colonel and unit commander. Right after the 911 tragedy, he was called to active duty and served as the theater dental surgeon for SW Asia as Chief Army Dental Officer for the combat theater.
Dr. Harden is member of the board of directors of the Emile T. Fisher Foundation for Dental Education in Georgia, and served as its president from 2010 to 2012. Its sole purpose is to fund scholarships for dental education in Georgia.
He also serves as an assistant clinical professor in the Department of Oral Rehabilitation at Georgia Regents University School of Dental Medicine (formerly Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry). He regularly works with the dental students who treat patients during their senior year at the Ben Massell Dental Clinic in Atlanta. Dr. Harden has been on the staff at the Massell Clinic since 1979. The Massell Clinic’s mission is to treat individuals who are economically challenged and cannot otherwise afford dental services.